A new travel time study has revealed the extent of congestion across the north of the city
The study carried out in May 2014 included 400 trips along the East West Link project corridor over a two week period, to provide a detailed understanding of existing travel times. Traffix Group Pty Ltd, who carried out this study, is accredited with VicRoads with nine pre-qualifications.
The key May 2014 findings from the study follow..
…………..In the morning peak, it takes an average of 34 minutes with a maximum of 47 minutes to get from the Eastern Freeway at Chandler Highway through Alexandra Parade and across to CityLink at Brunswick Road.
- In the afternoon peak, travelling west-east on the same route, it takes an average of 41 minutes and a maximum of 63 minutes.
Based on the fact that a trip through East West Link would take seven to eight minutes, average travel time savings for vehicles using East West Link shortly after its opening are estimated to be:
- Westbound – 27 minutes in the AM peak
- Eastbound – 33 minutes in the PM peak
The maximum travel time savings for vehicles using East West Link shortly after its opening are estimated to be:
- Westbound – 40 minutes in the AM peak
- Eastbound – 55 minutes in the PM peak