Frequently Asked Questions
The Following Questions and answers are below on this page.
Q: Am I in a High density Zone DD08, Res3, or which other zone? A: See Below
Q: How High can they build in DD08? A: See Below
Q: How do I stop it ? A: See Below
Q: What about Transport & Parking ? A: See Below
Q: Can I Object if I don’t live in the same street ? A: See Below
Q: How do I find the status of a Planning application at Manningham council ? A: See Below
Q: how do I get alerted of new applications in my area ? A: See Below
Q: How do I find Previous Cases & Decisions from VCAT? A: See Below
Q: How do I find VCAT procedures? A: See Below
Q: Am I in a High density Zone DD08, Res3, or what ?
A:This Council file shows the DD08-Overlay-Rules-Map – see pages 4-8 for the Maps. Note: even those outside of DD08 are not totally safe…
Q: How High can they build in DD08? ( Changes since C96 amendment. get details from council.)
A: It depends on the land size:
There is a key distinction once a site gets over 1800 Sq m. See DD08-Overlay-Rules-Map
Precinct A : 9m High to 11 m High, 3 to 4 Storeys. ( Main Road Precinct – even higher.)
Precinct B: 9 m high to 10 m high, 2 to 3 Storeys.
Not Including basement parking, or sunken apartments.
– One 750 Sq mtr site – roughly 7 apartments.
– Two 750 Sq mtr sites – roughly 30 apartments.
– Three 750 Sq mtr sites – roughly 38- 50 apartments.
Under 1800 m2 – Town house only style buildings ( no appartments) with similar height limits.
Q: How do I stop it ?
Step 3 – Tell your Local MP.
Step 4 – Join an active community group – you’re already here !
Q: What about Transport & Parking ?
A: Transport & parking just gets worse, when housing density increases, because there is nowhere to put new roads, and no decent mass public transport. this is definitely on our radar. the director of Planning in Manningham Paul Molen stated in July 2011 that a side street court can handle 2000-3000 car movements a day successfully.He also said the bad traffic is coming so get used to it!
We all would rather see some planning prepare and mitigate the issues, rather than get brace for it.
Lets push the council and state gov for some focus here – there is a $6mil Doncaster rail review started by the State Gov. ask MP Mary Wooldridge about it.
Q: Can I Object if I don’t live in the same street ?
A: Yes – you just have to show how you are affected by it. Eg : I drive through there, People I care about live in the area, and I visit. etc.
Q: How do I find the status of a Planning application at Manningham council ?
A: Tricky – it’s sort of hidden – follow these steps:
- To access Planning Register go to Manningham Council website,
- Go to right hand top corner and click on quick links,
- Click on planning scheme amendments from drop down options,
- Click on Go,
- Go to left hand side towards the bottom and click on planning register,
- Click on the disclaimer that asks that you accept the terms and conditions,
- Type in the house number, the street and suburb, ( type the street, it’s quicker. )
- Click on search, ( you can search the whole street at a time)
- Then a page containing details of the proposal appears.
- If a list of sites appears – Click on the planning application number on the left hand side for further details including the number of objections.
Q: how do I get alerted of new applications in my area ?
A: There is an alert service you can use – Planning.alerts.org.au
Q: How do I find Previous Cases & Decisions from VCAT?
A: VCAT Publish all completed cases here. these are very useful in arguing you stand at your own VCAT Case.
Particularly as you are showing how VCAT has previously agreed with you on a similar topic, in a similar situation.
Of course the opposition will do the same…
Q: How do I find VCAT procedures?
A: VCAT Planning & Environment website is here – there is a lot to read, and a lot of rules…